Monday, January 31

Snow! Books!


Here in central Illinois, we are about to get dumped on by a huge winter storm. I think I heard that 30 states will be hit by this front, with a possible accumulation between 12-24 inches (you'd think there would be more accuracy on the range). I told Dan he should work from home tomorrow and Wednesday - in response he said the IL. House of Representatives has called off their session for the rest of the week, so I think everyone is happy to stay inside for this one.

I, however, have the pleasure of living two block from work, so I'll be going in for my shift at 7:30. It will be slow, but at least we'll get a lot of projects done! Yay books!

I've been enjoying the benefits of working at the bookstore again - in that I get to check out any book that has a dust jacket for up to two weeks. With prompting from my sister, and just about every bookseller at BN, I've read through the Hunger Games trilogy (2nd: Catching Fire, 3rd: Mockingjay) by Suzanne Collins. They are lively and exciting, and have elements of social commentary I enjoy, like the books The Handmaid's Tale, A Brave New World, The Giver, and the short stories The Lottery, and Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron" and "Welcome to the Monkey House". I also am a sucker for a strong female character in YA books, and Katniss hits the spot.

Other YA books I've enjoyed recently are The Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card and (I'm currently reading) The Search for Wondla by Tony DiTerlizzi.

With all the news stations blabbing about the snow and because of general need, I stopped by the store on the way home to find this (see photo) waiting for me. That little white thing there is Baxter's back paw. I don't know how he got himself in there so snuggly, but I think he has the right idea with all the flurries headed out way. Batten down the hatches!

I hope you are all safe and warm, and that you have a kitty and good book close by.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for B&N! You have access to books and coffee... that's really all you need for a storm. Well, that and cookies, but you can make those yourself. Maybe you'll get some extra hours being that you can walk to work and others drive?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...