Sunday, June 20

Weekend sewing project - Pouf

My sister is in a pin cushion exchange. You can read about her creation here. I saw this tutorial a while back and decided to try my hand at it this weekend, thinking that it looked like a giant pin cushion!

I needed 24 swatches or 12 double swatches for the wedges. It took me a while to decide which to use, and I was a little disturbed by how much pink fabric I have.

After cutting out the 24 wedges and 24 backing strips out of muslin, I sat for a good 30 minutes rearranging their order to decide how they'd fit together best. I decided on the orientation above.

Cutting everything out was the longest step in the process (I'm not a good cutter). The sewing lasted through an episode and a half of Fresh Air, and the stuffing another 15 minutes. I threw a trip to JoAnn's in the middle to buy a 12'' upholstery needle for the tufting bit, and by last night all but the decorative button was in place.


This morning, a few stitches for the button and this was what I had! Comma slept on it last night, and this morning, both Kodak and Baxter found it to their liking. I really enjoyed this project, but would alter a few of the directions to be clearer (ie: sewing the points and tufting the washer in place).

Ta da!

1 comment:

  1. This is so cute--both pincushion and cat! Looks like something my kitties would do!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...